Thursday, July 17, 2014

Rules of Friendship

Wow. This one is a hard one for me. Mostly because I feel like I'm at a place where I'm rethinking all the things that I think friendship entails or should entail.

Let me start out by saying I'm not sure there are any real cut and dry "rules" of friendship. I mean, friendships evolve and change and grow as the people do, right? So maybe then the "rules" of friendship are just an altered version of the "rules" of life. 

~ Be kind to yourself...and others.
~ Be honest....with yourself and others. Along with that, I think, should come don't be afraid to say no...and don't be afraid to say yes.
~ Be real. Trying to be someone you're not isn't fair to anyone.
~ Don't judge. You know that whole, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones saying? Totally true. None of us are perfect.
~ Allow yourself to be vulnerable. If you aren't vulnerable with your friends, then why are you friends with them? Friends are allowed to do things like that.
~ Be random...and spontaneous. Sometimes it's just needed.
~ Make time...for yourself and each other.
~ Show that you care. Sometimes words just aren't enough, actions are needed.
~ Listen...which goes hand-in-hand with talk. Both are necessary, just not simultaneously.

This is just the beginnings of a list...I will revisit this later, after work...

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! Revisit it ;) I want to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ Take criticism. As well as give it, just be constructive not hurtful.

    ~ Communicate what it is that you need. No one is a mind reader (I don't think). Sometimes we genuinely don't know what it is that we need...and that's okay too...but when we do it's not fair (to anyone) if we expect someone else to "just know what I want."

    ~ Have a spa day. I know this isn't really a rule, per se...but it totally should be. Because a day of relaxation and silliness and just togetherness is needed in all relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Have a spa day!! That's kind of like my rule to not clean your house before good friends come over...not technically a rule, but, you know, it totally should be!!

    ReplyDelete